The mission of the Iowa Department of Commerce is to serve Iowans by efficiently and effectively providing for a fair, flexible, and positive regulatory environment for consumer service industries.
In support of this, the Department of Commerce (Alcoholic Beverages, Banking, Credit Union, Insurance, Professional Licensing and Regulation, and Utilities) is committed to:
- fostering an environment conducive to sound economic development in Iowa;
- maintaining public confidence in the integrity of the regulated industries and professions;
- establishing policies which protect the public interest while balancing the interests of the consumers, industries and professions;
- pursuing regulatory objectives in a manner that minimizes the costs and complexities of regulation without sacrificing quality;
- identifying competitive opportunities and deregulating where appropriate;
- providing direct services and information to the public to assist them in responding to the impact of the regulated industry, profession or regulator